Premium Insurance Option
Premium insurance - Third Party cover + Fire & Theft cover
Our Premium option offers you the chance to be covered by one of the world’s TOP 25 insurers during your road trip in New Zealand without breaking your wallet. It covers all the basic needs to make your trip around New Zealand a stress-free experience and even includes fire and theft cover so you have a backup in case the worst happens.
In the page below we will summarise the cover details in an easy-to-read chart and then detail the cover extensively so you know exactly what you are in for.
What is included in your Premium Backpackers Motor Insurance?
The Premium insurance option is simple to understand. The main details of the cover are shown in the chart below:
|Third Party Cover
+ Fire & Theft Cover
|Driver age||18 or above|
|Available for cars||Yes|
|Available for campervans||Yes|
|Available for motorbikes||No
For motorbikes cover, see our Basic Insurance Option
|Damage to others’ property||Up to NZ$1.000.000|
|Injury to others||Up to NZ$1.000.000|
|Death of others||Up to NZ$1.000.000|
|Theft of your vehicle||Up to NZ$3.500|
|Damage due to fire||Up to NZ$3.500|
|Options available||3, 6, 9, 12 months|
|OCTOBER PROMO: Use the discount code NZROADTRIP to get 5% OFF your policy!|
Details of the Premium insurance - Third Party cover + Fire & Theft cover
Who is covered?
This option is available for any driver of any nationality aged 18 or above. Because we know that you like to travel with friends, this offers unlimited drivers at no extra cost so your mates can drive and you are still covered.
This policy is available for the lengths of 3, 6, 9 or 12 months.
The Premium Backpackers Motor Insurance is available for cars and campervans.
What is covered?
You are insured for amounts You legally have to pay as compensation including the costs of defending any civil proceedings and any costs awarded against You as a result of:
- Accidental Damage to property in New Zealand that does not belong to You and for which You are not responsible; or
- Physical injury or death of anyone other than You, Your family members or employees, because of an Accident arising out of the use of Your Vehicle.
Our legal liability shall be limited to NZ$1.000.000 in respect of all claims arising out of any one Accident or a serie of Accidents arising out of any one event.
This option also covers You for legal liability plus Accidental Damage to Your Vehicle arising out of fire, theft or illegal conversion.
We can settle Your claim in any of the following ways:
- Repairing, reinstating or replacing Your Vehicle (or its parts) to at least the condition it was in before the loss or damage; or
- Paying You the Market Value of Your Vehicle; or
- Paying You an amount that covers the reasonable cost of repairs to Your Vehicle.
The amount payable shall be limited to NZ$3500 maximum.
What is not covered?
- Your Excess. What is the Excess? The excess on every claim is NZ$500. This means that if you have an accident and cause NZ$10.000 worth of damage, you will pay NZ$500 and your insurer will pay the rest.
- Any claim occurring while Your Vehicle is being used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition unless You could not have reasonably known about this condition.
- The results of deliberate or criminal action of any Insured under this Policy.
- Liability that You have accepted or assumed in a contract without Our written authority, unless that liability would have existed anyway.
- Accidental Damage that occurs or liability that arises outside New Zealand.
- Your Vehicle whilst being used for or being tested in preparation for any form of motor sport, including racing, pacemaking, reliability trial, speed test or hill climbing test.
- Accidental Damage that is recoverable under the Accident Insurance Act 1998 or any amendments to or Acts in substitution of it.
- Alcohol or Drugs.
There is no cover if an Accident happens while the Vehicle is being used by anyone who:
(a) is under the influence of, or in any way affected by, intoxicating liquor or a drug;
(b) has a proportion of alcohol in their blood or breath that is higher than is allowed under the Land Transport Act 1998;
(c) subsequently refuses to supply any sample or undergo any test when requested to do so by a person who is authorised under the Land Transport Act 1998;
(d) does not stop following the Accident as required by the Land Transport Act 1998 or fails to comply with any other requirements of the Act in connection with the Accident;
(e) is issued with a certificate of conviction under section 58 of the Land Transport Act 1998 for an offence which was committed at the time of the Accident or following it. If the driver dies from injuries received in an Accident the proportion of alcohol in any blood sample taken from the body of the deceased person will be assumed to be the same proportion that was in their blood at the time of the Accident.
- Loss, damage, destruction, death, injury, illness, liability, cost or expense of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by, resulting from or arising out of or in connection with any of the following, regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any other sequence to the loss:
- 9.1 war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power, or confiscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority;
- 9.2 any Act of Terrorism. For the purpose of this exclusion an “Act of Terrorism” means an act, including but not limited to the use of force or violence and/or threat, of any person or group(s) of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organisation(s) or government(s) which from its nature or context is done for, or in connection with, political, religious, ideological, ethnic or similar purposes or reasons, including the intention to influence any government and/or to put the public, or any section of the public, in fear.
(a) ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel; or
(b) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
- There is no Fire & Theft cover:
(a) in respect of theft or illegal conversion of Your Vehicle while it is left unattended, unless it is in a securely locked building or it has been fully locked and secured and the keys have been removed;
(b) for the theft of wheels, stereos or any other accessories or parts unless the Vehicle has been stolen or illegally converted;
(c) for loss of use or any consequential loss.
- This policy does not cover the theft of your personal items from your vehicle.
For more information, see the policy wording of this cover.
Backpackers Motor Insurance was a great resource for me to buy my campervan in New Zealand. I used their guide step by step to check the campervan that I wanted to buy. Their cover was pretty cheap so I decided to go for it. The whole process was super easy!
I found out about Backpackers Motor insurance through a friend of mine that left New Zealand just when I arrived. It was perfect for me as I only wanted to travel for about 6 months and did not want to take the risk to travel uncovered but also did not want to spend too much.
I was lucky enough not to have to claim anything during my trip - we had no accidents at all. But it was a great option to have this safety blanket at a cheap price. I compared quite a lot different insurance options before my trip and this one had the best cost-to-cover ratio.
I was so relieved to be able to find an insurance option that would not cost me thousands after seeing the prices in the US. I only had a very small issue with the car and the whole claim process took only a few days. It was super easy. Thanks all!